The City of Gold Coast project focused on a dashboard solution to visualise various business analytics data, such as parking meter usage, Wi-Fi usage and parking infringement data, in a centralised and easy to use dashboard.
THE CHALLENGEThe City of Gold Coast is the second largest local government area in Australia, behind Brisbane City, based on residential population. The City has multiple systems to manage the vast array of products and services they deliver to residents.
To simplify how these systems are viewed, the City engaged Speedwell to develop a central dashboard that would allow stakeholders (including ratepayers, business owners and City of Gold Coast staff) to view a simple snapshot of relevant services.
KEY REQUIREMENTSTo understand the project, Speedwell undertook an initial workshop with the client and system provider technical staff.
The workshop identified:
- The initial three (3) systems that would be connected via the dashboard.
- Low fidelity design of dashboard information and layout.
- Details for specific dashboard information.
THE SOLUTIONSpeedwell ran two fourteen (14) day development sprints and delivered a working prototype connecting:
- Parking meters
- Public Wi-Fi access
- Parking infringements
PARKING METER DASHBOARDSpeedwell designed and developed a parking meter dashboard integrating parking meter data into a single page view for the client that included:
- Filtering results by precinct and date range.
- A table of results showing the filtered meters, cash revenue, credit card revenue and balance.
- Map view of filtered parking meters.
- The top 5 meters based on balance.
- The top 5 meters based on credit card revenue.
- The top 5 meters based on cash revenue.
WI-FI USAGE DASHBOARDA bespoke Wi-Fi usage dashboard was created with the following features:
- Filtering results by Wi-Fi network and date range.
- A table of results showing the filtered period, total download, total upload, total traffic and the number of sessions.
- Drill-down into more details for each filtered Wi-Fi network.
- Column chart visualisation accompanying the tabular data.
INFRINGEMENTS DASHBOARDSpeedwell created an infringements dashboard that displayed all data to the client, but included protection to ensure stakeholders could only see their own data. This dashboard view included:
- Filtering results by registration and date range.
- A paginated table of results showing the date, time, registration, penalty and suburb.
- A line chart accompanying the table results showing revenue versus count.
THE RESULTSThis dashboard solution provides the clients and other stakeholders with a simple dashboard to clearly understand parking meter, Wi-Fi and parking infringement data through well designed data visualisation. As this data was previously accessed via separate systems, the dashboard provides an efficient way to access this data displayed in an easy to understand aggregated format.
The project was completed and delivered inside 30 days, and proved the concept of the single view dashboard providing the user with “at-a-glance” data used for analysis and providing critical information.
- Proof-of-concept delivered with 30 days.
- Aggregation of disparate data into one unified system.
- Operational and analytical efficiencies demonstrated.
- Data visualisation best practices used.